To become a member of the Blues and Twos Credit Union you must fall within our “Common Bond” and be an employee, or retired member previously employed by, one of the following in Lancashire or Cumbria:

  • Police, Fire or Ambulance Service
  • Unison
  • Lancashire County Council
  • Cumbria County Council
  • Allerdale Borough Council
  • Barrow-in-Furness Borough Council
  • Blackburn & Darwen Unitary Authority
  • Blackpool Unitary Authority
  • Burnley Borough Council
  • Carlisle City Council
  • Chorley Borough Council
  • Copeland Borough Council
  • Eden District Council
  • Fylde Borough Council
  • Hyndburn Borough Council
  • Lancaster City Council
  • Pendle Borough Council
  • Preston City Council
  • Ribble Valley Borough Council
  • Rossendale Borough Council
  • South Lakeland District Council
  • South Ribble Borough Council
  • West Lancashire Borough Council
  • Wyre Borough Council
  • National Crime Agency
  • Home Office
  • Ministry of Justice
  • Police Federation
  • Office for the Police & Crime Commissioner for Lancashire or Cumbria
  • Blues & Twos Credit Union

OR for an organisation where you are employed to provide services by way of contract to any of the employers listed above in Lancashire & Cumbria.

Once you have joined close family members living at your address may also apply to join.

How to Join

Please complete the Online Membership Application Form. Under the Distance Marketing Directive you have the right to cancel your account within 14 days. In line with the necessary identify checks required by law we will undertake identification verification as part of your application. If we are unable to do this electronically we will ask you for alternative identification. There is no charge for this service.


You can download the Membership Application Form, enclose your relevant identification documents (see below) and post to the credit union office. If you prefer not to supply your original identification documents, you can elect to have your details verified by electronic means.  Please indicate this on the form – There is no charge for this service.

Identification Verification

In common with all other financial organisations we are obliged to obtain information to confirm your identity.  You can supply documentary evidence of your full name, permanent residential address and date of birth before your account can be opened.

Different documents must be produced to prove your identity and your address. All documents must be originals, copies cannot be accepted. They can be produced in person at our office and returned to you immediately or they can be sent by post, together with your completed application form, and returned to you by post as soon as possible ( see list below).  Alternatively we will obtain information from a reliable and independent source.

Please provide one original document from each section.

Evidence of Full name/date of birth

  • Current UK Passport
  • Current UK Driving Licence
  • Current Shotgun or Firearms certificate
  • Recent evidence of entitlement to state or local authority benefit or tax credit

Evidence of Full name/Residential Address

  • Current Council Tax or Water Rate demand letter
  • Recent utility bill(gas/electric) but not those printed from the Internet
  • Recent statements – bank, building society, credit card etc.
  • Other – council rent card, tenancy agreement

If you do not have any of these documents or are unsure about which ones to use, contact the office on 01772 618833 and speak to a member of staff.

Is my money safe?

Important information about compensation arrangements:

We are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).  The FSCS can pay compensation to depositors if a credit union is unable to meet its financial obligations.  Most depositors – including most individuals and small businesses – are covered by the scheme.

In respect of deposits, an eligible depositor is entitled to claim up to £85,000.  For joint accounts each account holder is treated as having a claim in respect of their share so, for a joint account held by two eligible depositors, the maximum amount that could be claimed would be £85,000 each (making a total of £170,000).  The £85,000 limit relates to the combined amount in all the eligible depositor’s accounts with the credit union, including their share of any joint account, and not to each separate account.

For further information about the scheme (including the amounts covered and eligibility to claim) please call us on 01772 618833 or ask at your local Blues & Twos Credit Union office, refer to the FSCS website www.fscs.org.uk or call 0800 678 1100.  FSCS-A guide to how the FSCS protects your Money (933.9kb)

Important Notice – Leaving your employment?

If you are leaving your employment please contact us. Let our professional and friendly staff help you organise your finances. Remember – Saving a little each month gives you those rainy day funds that have, for years, been really useful particularly when you needed them most.

We understand when a member leaves their employ they may be feeling unhappy; concerned, may even want to cut any ties with employer. We can’t promise to help with all concerns but we will try and help with financial concerns. Keeping your Blues & Twos account open could be a real life saver later on. There are times when you should leave some things as they are whilst you sort out more pressing issues.  We can reduce your monthly saving to £10, you can always increase what you save at a later date.  Contact the office today if your circumstances are changing or have changed and see how we can help you.